Chunky Tomato Relish – Makes 4 x 350ml Jars
1.5kg vine ripened tomatoes
4 onions chopped into 1cm sized pieces
2 Tbsp salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
1 green chilli, very finely diced.
1 Tbsp mustard powder
1 Tbsp curry powder
1. Cut a small cross into the skin on the bottom of each tomato and place in a large mixing bowl. Cover tomatoes in boiling water and soak until the skin cracks (about 10 minutes). Peel tomatoes and cut each tomato into quarters (or into six if the tomatoes are large).
2. Place tomatoes and onions into a non metallic bowl. Sprinkle over salt and mix through the tomatoes and chopped onions until just combined. Cover and set aside for 12 hours.
3. Drain off liquid formed and transfer tomatoes and onions to a large pot.
4. Add sugar, apple cider vinegar, and finely diced chilli. Mix together until well combined.
5. Bring the mixture to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the pot lid for last 30 minutes of simmering.
6. Meanwhile heat the oven to 120°C. Sterilise jars by placing 4 x 350ml clean glass jars and metal lids on a clean baking tray and place in the oven for 30 minutes. If using rubber seals, stand in boiling water for 5 minutes to sterilise.
7. Add mustard powder and curry powder to the relish mixture and stir. Continue simmering and stirring for 5 minutes.
8. Pack in to sterilised jars.