Chicken Waldorf Salad with Macadamias – Serves 4
4 x single chicken breast fillets (about 200–225g each)
2 litres chicken stock
2/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
4 Tbsp apple juice
4 small crisp red apples such as Pink Lady or Fuji
1 Cos lettuce
3 celery stalks, trimmed and stringy fibres removed
100g dry roasted macadamias
- Trim excess fat from the chicken breast fillets and place in a pot with the chicken stock. On high heat, bring stock and chicken to the boil then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken flesh is white when the thickest part is cut through with a knife.
- Remove chicken breast fillets from stock and set aside to cool. Discard stock.
- In a large medium size bowl add the mayonnaise and apple juice and combine until smooth. Set aside.
- Slice the Cos lettuce and divide among four serving dishes.
- Slice the celery stalks into bite size pieces and divide into four serves, adding to the Cos lettuce.
- Core and dice the apples and divide into four, adding to the Cos lettuce and celery.
- Dice or shred the chicken breast fillets into bite size pieces and divide in to four serves, adding to the Cos lettuce, celery and apples.
- Divide the macadamias into four and scatter add to each salad bowl.
- Divide the mayonnaise mixture between the four bowls of salad ingredients. Mix together until all the salad ingredients are well coated with the mayonnaise. Serve immediately.