Flourless Macadamia & Orange Cake – Serves 10
Traditionally this flourless gluten free cake is made with almond meal, and served with a dusting of icing sugar. In this recipe I have substituted the almond meal with macadamia meal and topped the cake with a chocolate ganache icing. The result is a beautifully moist and light, but rich ‘jaffa’ flavoured cake. Serving it with cream takes the edge off the cake’s richness.
2 navel oranges with unblemished skins, 250-260grams each
1 cup (225grams) castor sugar
2 1/2 cups (300grams) macadamia meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
200grams dark chocolate
1/4 cup thick cream
1. Place the two whole navel oranges in a pot and cover with water. Bring water to the boil, then turn down heat to simmer the oranges for one hour. Ensure the oranges are covered with water the for the entire cooking time. Drain oranges and leave to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) and grease and line the bottom of a 22cm round spring form cake tin.
3. When oranges are cooled, carefully peel one orange.
4. Cut each orange into 8 pieces, removing any seeds. Place all orange pieces in the food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
5. Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and add sugar.
6. Using a hand held mixer, beat until thick and pale.
7. Add the pureed orange, macadamia meal and baking powder and using a wooden spoon, mix until well combined.
8. The resultant mix will be runny. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for 55–60minutes. The cake is ready when tested with a skewer and it comes out clean.
9. Remove cake from oven and leave to cool for 30 minutes. Remove baking paper and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
10. In a small saucepan over low heat, break the dark chocolate into pieces and add the thick cream. Stir continuously until melted and smooth.
11. Set aside for 5–10minutes to cool and thicken slightly. Spoon over cooled cake and smooth with an icing wand or spatula. Serve with cream.